Admissions requirements

Admissions requirements

There are some entry requirements that students need to meet in order to be accepted into SIBT. Requirements are different for international students and Australian or New Zealand students.

International admissions requirements

Domestic student admissions requirements

Alternate entry

Applicants with work and life experience (includes those who left secondary education more than 2 years ago

Applicants who don’t meet the academic requirements may be admitted to a Diploma program on the basis of demonstrable expertise and relevant work experience. SIBT provides an opportunity for alternative entry to students over 18 years to participate in higher education. Applicants are required to provide information on work experience, including details of employer, length of employment, position held, and duties undertaken in the role. Work references and/or a statement from the employer substantiating the work claim may also be required. Applicants may also submit any academic studies that have partaken in since leaving school. If domestic students are unable to demonstrate work experience, SIBT will accept the STAT (Special Tertiary Admissions Test) which is administered by UAC.

Applicants with vocational education and training (VET) study

Applicants must demonstrate successful completion of the VET course with a 50% or better average of all units completed. Applicants who have completed a Diploma or Advanced Diploma from VET study may apply for Recognition of Prior Studies; OR

Applicants must demonstrate partial completion of a VET course with a 50% or better average of all units attempted in combination with their completed Australian Year 12 or its international equivalent. Applicants may apply for Recognition of Prior Studies based on units undertaken at the Diploma or Advanced Diploma level.

If you have any enquires regarding your qualifications, please contact our Admissions office on:

Recognition of prior learning

You may apply for credit transfer for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) if you have undertaken formal study in recognised tertiary institutions in Australia. These can include universities, colleges, TAFE, and other post-secondary educational institutions.

Overseas institutions will be recognised to the extent to which they are considered to be the equivalent of particular Australian institutions. Under certain conditions, consideration may extend to programs provided by recognised professional bodies, employers and other authorities where appropriate certification is available, and where students are able to demonstrate the relevant expertise and experience.

If you are applying for RPL, then you must complete the RPL application form. Applications should be submitted to SIBT prior to enrolment. Applications can be sent by post, email or fax.

Please note:

The originals (or certified copies of the originals) must also be posted if the application form is sent by email or fax.

Download the RPL application form here

Transferring to university

Over 90 per cent of SIBT students successfully graduate and go on to continue the second year of their undergraduate degree at University.

For entry into a bachelor's degree at Western Sydney University, Sydney City Campus, there are some conditions that you need to meet.

  • The minimum requirement is a pass in 8 diploma units.
  • Graduates who achieve an overall average of 50% (taking into account all units attempted) will gain entry into Western Sydney University, Sydney City Campus.
  • Students who do not achieve this will be considered for entry on an individual basis.