Working in Australia

If you are in Australia to study on a student visa, you will already have permission to work included with your visa. You can work a maximum of 20 hours a week during the semester and unlimited hours during semester breaks. To support international students, there is currently a relaxation on the restrictions of hours students can work, with the ability to work more than 20 hours a week in some sectors. More information can be found on the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website.  

Australia is facing a skill shortages in retail, hospitality and other sectors, making it the ideal time to be applying for part-time work. You can use job boards like Seek and Indeed to find jobs or go directly to a business. Ensure that you have a resume and cover letter, which will be required with your job applications. Our student support team can assist with this.

Please note: Australia has strict rules to ensure that employees are being paid and treated fairly, while working under safe conditions. For further information on working in Australia, visit DIBP's website at

International students have the same workplace rights as all other workers in Australia. Fair Work Australia provides free advice and assistance to all workers to help them understand their rights. You can call the Infoline on or call 13 14 50 for the Translating and Interpreting Service. You can also submit your question or issue anonymously through their website in English or in one of 16 other languages.

For more information about your working rights as an international student in Australia, visit

Tax File Number

When working in Australia, you will need a Tax File Number (TFN). This is so that your employer can pay you and so that you can pay the right amount of tax. The TFN that you are provided will be unique to you so that if you change jobs, your details or residency status, it will remain the same.

When you start a new job, you will be required to fill out a Tax File Number declaration form so that they your employer can receive your TFN.

You can apply for a TFN on the Australian Taxation Office website.

Skills for Part-Time Job Opportunities

Studying and living in Australia can be quite costly, so we are here to help. Look out for job opportunities across our social media channels or around the campus, and register for a barista course, Responsible Service of Alcohol course or something similar! These are great opportunities for you to gain additional qualifications and be empowered with the skills to start earning that extra pocket money as soon as possible.