Working and Studying

Working and Studying

While on a student visa, you may decide that you’d like to do a bit of paid work while studying. If you decide to work, then there are certain rules that you need to be aware with working in Australia.

You first need to check if you’re eligible, followed by obtaining an Australian Tax File Number (TFN). You will need to also read about the rights and responsibilities for working in Australia.

There is a limited amount of hours that you can work while studying. Each semester, you can only work 40 hours per fortnight, although there are no restrictions during your break. You may only start working after your course has started. Dependent family members on your student visa are eligible to work.

Tax File Number

Your TFN is an identity number that you are issued with to receive payment for work and to pay taxes. You should apply for a TFN before you start work and after you’ve arrived in Australia. It is not mandatory to have but you will be taxed more than necessary if you do not have a TFN. At the end of each financial year (30th June), you can claim back the income tax and get a tax refund.

Working Rights

You have rights for working in Australia. These rights include your health and safety, minimum wage, and discrimination. You can view details about working in Australia on the Fair Work Ombudsman website.

But most importantly, you must remember to enjoy the student life and experience that SIBT can offer you.