International Students

Taking the challenge of studying overseas means that there will be many things to plan and prepare for.

Obtaining a student visa


As an international student intending to study in Australia, you must obtain a student visa from an Australian Diplomatic Mission in your home country before journeying to Australia.

Documentation that you will require from SIBT before you can apply for a visa:

  • Letters of Offer from SIBT and Macquarie University

  • Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) from SIBT and Macquarie University after the respective fees and charges have been paid

For more detailed information about applying for a Student Visa and obtaining Student Visa Application Forms, visit the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.

Please note: Students who apply through an in-country SIBT representative will receive assistance with the student visa application process.

Before you arrive


A month before your semester commences, SIBT will email you the details of your orientation, including the date and time of the orientation session.

When you come to Australia, make sure to bring copies of all your documentation with you, including your passport, visa and credit cards. Keep the originals in your hand luggage and leave a copy of all of your important documents with someone at home.

You will also need to consider the following:

Accommodation references

  • If you plan to rent accommodation, try and bring references from people who know you e.g. family friends or schoolteachers - this will make signing a tenancy agreement a lot easier.

Medical records

  • Bring your medical records and any prescriptions with a letter from your doctor; you should also bring a English translation of these documents.

Passport photos

  • Bringing a few extra passport photos with you is a good idea, as they will be useful if you need to get membership cards or visas for overseas holidays.


  • You should bring enough Australian currency in cash for your first few days, and have access to $1,500 to $3,500 in bank draft/travellers' cheques (in your own name) to get established.

Living costs

  • Living in Australia is relatively cost effective compared to other western countries; an international student in Sydney will require approximately AU$15,000 - AU$20,000 for living expenses each year (not including tuition fees).

Use this checklist to make sure you have all the documents you need

  • Airline tickets and a valid passport with student visa.

  • SIBT's letter of offer with your Conformation of Enrolment (CoE).

  • Receipts of any related payments you have made including tuition fees, health cover, etc.

  • Original or certified copies of your academic transcript.

  • English translation of prescriptions for any medications you are carrying.

  • Personal identification such as driver's licence or identity card, including English translation.

Luggage requirements

The check-in weight for economy class flights is usually 20kg (check baggage allowance with your airline). Your luggage should be clearly labelled with your name and contact address. It is advisable to lock your luggage, however, if a search of your luggage is necessary due to security issues the lock may be broken. Never agree to bring a bag or other items to Australia for someone else as it may contain something illegal and you will be held accountable for it.

Working in Australia


If you are arriving in Australia to study on a student visa, you will already have permission to work automatically included with your visa. You will be able to work a maximum of 20 hours a week during semester and unlimited hours during semester breaks. The income earned from part-time work is not adequate to cover study and living costs. For further information on working in Australia, visit DIAC's website at

International students under 18


International students under 18 years of age must either:

  • live with a parent, legal guardian or person aged over 21 years who is nominated by your parent (or legal guardian), or;

  • provide evidence of guardianship arrangements.

Guardianship arrangements can be made through an acceptable SIBT homestay organisation, which involves living with an Australian family in your own furnished bedroom.

Please note: If you are under 18 years of age and do not live with a parent, legal guardian or person nominated by your parents, you must consult SIBT's Student Services manager prior to changing your accommodation or other welfare arrangements. This is a requirement of the Australian Government.

The ESOS Framework


The Australian Government has also created a governance framework designed to protect international students during their studies in Australia. It's called the ESOS Framework. You can find a copy of the ESOS Framework by clicking here.

Real Time Analytics